This page contains some images of the work of Walter Tittensor architect. The majority of his work was in Oldham but he also worked in neighbouring towns such as Saddleworth. Our list of his work is incomplete. Please get in touch if you have any further information or would like to know more. Click here for our contact details
Oldham Corporation Baths were built using a subscription raised in honour of Sir Robert Peel. In a book to celebrate Oldham's centenary 1849-1949, it says "The building, which is situated at the corner of Union Street and Clegg Street, was designed by resident architect Mr Tittensor, and presents a pleasing and elegant appearance. It was completed at a cost of about £4000 ...". The baths were extensively modified in 1879, and demolished in the 1970s.
Oldham Victoria Market opened on 28th June 1856. The opening ceremony is described in that day's edition of the Oldham Chronicle. Walter was responsible the extension and facade. No picture.
Saddleworth Union Workhouse. Walter Tittensor was the architect on its enlargement and re-modelling in 1855.
Werneth St Thomas church 1853-55. Lambeth Palace Library's Church Plans On-line web site mentions three architects associated with this building; Walter Tittensor, Andrew Trimen, and George Shaw. It attributes the ground-plan and perspective to Walter Tittensor.
Waterhead Church School, Oldham, 1854. The plans for this building are held at Oldham Local Studies Library.
Christchurch School, Oldham 1854. The plans for this building are held at Oldham Local Studies Library.
Back to Walter Tittensor, architect